In the wake of heart-breaking betrayal, Carley Connors is thrust into foster care and left on the steps of the Murphys, a happy, bustling family.
Carley has thick walls and isn’t rattled easily, but this is a world she just doesn’t understand. A world that frightens her. So, she resists this side of life she’d believed did not exist with dinners around a table and a “zip your jacket, here’s your lunch” kind of mom.
However, with the help of her Broadway-obsessed and unpredictable friend, Toni, the Murphys do the impossible in showing Carley what it feels like to belong somewhere. But, when her mother wants her back, will she lose the only family that she has ever known?
Awards and Honors:
- OFTM is a finalist on 25 state student reading lists
- Global Read Aloud choice, 2014
- Tassy Walden Award–Best New Voices in Children’s Literature Winner
- Kirkus starred review
- Bank Street Books Best Book
- ABA New Voices Pick, 2012
- ABA Summer Picks, 2013
- Scholastic Book Clubs Editor’s Choice
- ALSC Notable Children’s Books Discussion List
- Anderson’s Mock Newbery Winner
- Nerdy Book Award Winner, 2012
- Goodreads Choice Awards–Best Middle Grade Finalist
- Brooklyn Public Library–Next Best Kids’ Shelves
- Connecticut State Librarians–Best Books of 2012
- Boston Author’s Club Highly Recommended Book Award
- A Mighty Girl Pick
- Virginia Book of the Year Winner
- Nutmeg Book (Connecticut) Runner-up
- Maud Hart Lovelace (Minnesota) Winner
HERE IS A VIDEO DONE BY GLOBAL READ ALOUD FOUNDER PERNILLE RIPP ABOUT ONE FOR THE MURPHYS. **If you have ever wondered what happens to Carley after the end of the book, there is an epilogue within this video :-)