Note: The retreat dates this year are 3/17/17–3/19/17. Here is the link to the MAIN WP page.
Okay, here is the scholarship info….
I love the SCBWI-NE Whispering Pines Retreat. Here, I have learned about the business of publishing. I’ve learned a lot about writing craft. But I’ve learned other things as well. Much more important things.
I’ve learned who I am. I’ve learned that the writing life fills a void I wasn’t fully aware was there. And, most importantly, I learned that these people are some of the best around. I’ve been very fortunate in my author journey, but there isn’t anything I love more than the friends I’ve made through this conference.
One of the best things I’ve ever done was raise my hand to volunteer to be a director. At the time, it was like the arm that shot up had a mind of its own and it wasn’t long before I wondered what I’d gotten myself into. But after 13 years, this conference has been nothing but a blessing to me. And although I finally had to step down, it will always have a very special place in my heart.
Every year there are people who wish to attend but are not financially able. Therefore, because I know this conference experience has the potential to be a life-changing gift, I have set up a full scholarship for one writer.
This writer and/or illustrator:
- Will receive full room (double occupancy) and board. He/she will have the opportunity to participate in all weekend activities including a 30-minute one-on-one critique with a mentor. (Transportation will not be provided)
- Must be a SCBWI member (So please use the same name as your membership so this can be verified)
- Writes for children
- Lives in New England
- Has not won another SCBWI grant/scholarship in the past three years
- Has NOT been traditionally published in book form in ANY genre in children’s publishing. (I’m referring to books, here. This does not include shorter pieces such as magazines. Previously self-published books are okay.)
- Must have a financial need. I would never dream of asking for financial information, but please keep in mind that this is intended for people who cannot afford to come without the scholarship. You’re on the honor system. Please be considerate of people who have a genuine need.
- DEADLINE: SUBMISSION MUST BE RECEIVED BY THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2016
Writers may submit:
- Full PB manuscript or dummy (NO ORIGINAL ART, please as it cannot be returned)
- First 10 pages of a longer work
Submissions need to be formatted with:
- 1-inch margin all the way around,
- 12 point font
- Must be double-spaced.
- Please remember to include your registration form.
- Please mail your submission/registration form to:
13 Evelyn Rd
Stow, MA 01775
Jenny will open the envelopes, remove the names, and number the manuscripts so I will not know who the authors are before the first round of judging. (There will be multiple judges.) Your submission should be polished as if you were submitting it to an editor or agent.
The winner will have the choice as to whether his/her name is publicly announced. Some people will choose to shout it from the rooftops while others would prefer to celebrate privately. I am fine with either.
Last thing…I have named this scholarship after my brother, Michael Eric, who passed away not long after this picture here was taken. (I also named a character after him in One for the Murphys.) His picture sits in my office and I think of him every day. Still.
Okay, then. Get working and happy writing! I hope to celebrate with you at Whispering Pines.